Walking around at the Atlantikwall site of Raversyde, our virtual reconstructions link the past to the present. Let’s have a quick tour around this German coastal defense unit in 1915 and 1917.
At the entrance, two British sea mines, used as planters, were welcoming the visitor.
There was a path, connecting the two observation bunkers, that passed in front of the cannon platforms, but also gave access to the stairs of the former royal villa that gave way to the first line defence positions on the beach.
The soldiers were living in barracks that were integrated in the dunes, the planted layer of soil on the roof was acting as camouflage and protection against bombardments. The barracks were reinforced after the British bombardment in October 1915.
Battery Aachen contained four cannon platforms, that were also reinforced after the 1915 bombardments. The cannons were put out of order by an inside explosion when the German troops withdrew at the end of the war.